[OT] Linux-worthy laptop recommendations

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Wed May 3 19:35:35 BST 2006

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 05:07:01PM +0100, Robert Rothenberg wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations for a laptop make/model which Linux will run
> on as a desktop machine, minimum 1GB RAM, cost under £1000.

You could do worse than pick up a second-hand PowerBook, you could even
dual-boot Linux and Mac OS X! Seriously, PBs are *fine* bits of kit,
maybe the best-built laptops around, and *so* sexy looking.

Failing that, work have given me a Toshiba Satellite M70 which is pretty
decent. 512MB ram upgrade from crucial.com/uk/ is cheap, better than
buying the upgrade from Toshiba. I think the base system only has 512MB
ram. Decent enough 15" screen, standard Intel centrino-branded chipset,
intel 2200 wireless lan, etc. Not a bad machine, runs Debian beautifully
with zero hand configuration.

/joel