Fwd: New books from Apress

danny staple danny at orionrobots.co.uk
Sat May 20 13:50:53 BST 2006

On 18/05/06, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> > I am continually surprised that BASIC did not die a horrible, painful,
> > messy death in the 80s.
>
> It did.  Real Basic and Visual Basic don't have a lot in common with the
> crap we used back then other than a few keywords.

Nope, on comparison they can end up even less structured and be far worse :-p

By far the best ever basic had to be BBC Basic, which actually had
procedures although on reflection the embedded assembler and some of
its other features could make for code that probably started the obfu
we see today. I am sure former Speccy and C64 owners will disagree,
but I had the pleasure of experiencing them all - and without "Simons
Basic", the C64 was the least forgiving.

What is amazing me is that the Basic STAMP is currently the top dog in
robotics controllers.
--
Danny Staple MBCS
OrionRobots