ora owns web2.0 - and will sue your ass if you try to use it

Chris Devers cdevers at pobox.com
Mon May 29 13:39:37 BST 2006

On Mon, 29 May 2006, James Mastros wrote:

> On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 09:40:46PM -0400, Chris Devers wrote:
> > Call the next conference web3.0 and let people in for free.
> >
> > There, everybody's happy.
>
> Well, depends how aggressive ORA is planning on being defending their
> service mark. [.......]

Oh fer chrisssake.... IT WAS A JOKE.

A *JOKE*!

/me wiggles finger through invisible eyeglasses, Belushi-stylee

In any case,

[a] It's a stupid issue to get worked up about. If you want something to
lose sleep over, try Darfur, or peak oil, or your government, or the
fact that there don't seem to be any good rock bands anymore, or
whatever, take your pick, but something better than this, please.

[b] If you really had a *free* conference with a confusingly similar
namee to web2.0, you could probably stage a legal defense that you're
not profiting by the confusion, and so could talk a judge into throwing
the case out of court.

[c] If you can't be bothered to come up with an original name for your
conference, maybe you don't have original ideas to present in the
conference either, and maybe it it would better to just not have it in
the first place.

I'd go on, but it would only feed Doctorow's fanboys...

--
Chris Devers