Keeping an eye on hung system calls..

muppet scott at
Tue Jun 6 11:58:39 BST 2006

On Jun 6, 2006, at 6:14 AM, Toby Corkindale wrote:

> Both methods are kind of ugly though.. The system() call is
> expensive enough as
> it is (including it's own fork&exec), and I'd still need to find a
> mechanism to
> make sure I can kill the system-child of the worker fork-or-thread,
> as well as
> just the worker.

In this situation i always choose fork() over threads.  Forking works
on all unixen and is emulated on win32, while ithreads are not
available on the perl shipped on all systems (FreeBSD and Slackware
Linux, for example).

"that's it! you're a genius!"  "yes.  that's what i think.  do you
think i deserve a raise?"
     - dialogue from 'Godzilla versus Mothra', 1964