Wish list [was: Social Meeting this Thursday, 8th June @ The Founders Arms]

Bob Walker bob at randomness.org.uk
Fri Jun 9 00:33:30 BST 2006

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, David Alban wrote:

> On 6/8/06, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
>> I'd quite like to see Debian package management on OpenBSD or Solaris.
>
> I'd like to see solaris ship with vim as part of the core os, at least
> in addition to, if not as a replacement for, vi.  solaris vi is as
> dumb as a united states president.

vi is perfectly adequate. if you happen to need the anoying extra stuff
vim provides you can install it.

> And it wouldn't suck too badly if
> they made /bin/sh a link to bash, or some posix-aware version of sh.

no, no, no. its bad enough that linux weenies when writing code assume
that /bin/sh is bash. before 10 doing so would be really bad. in 10 you
may be able to get away with it. they even say you can  make root shell
bash if you really want.

> Oh, and screen, as part of the core os, would be nice, too.

indeed. then again is it core on anything else.

--
Bob Walker
http://www.randomness.org.uk/