Wish list [was: Social Meeting this Thursday, 8th June @ The Founders Arms]

Jonathan Stowe jns at gellyfish.com
Fri Jun 9 09:00:21 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 00:33, Bob Walker wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, David Alban wrote:
>
> > On 6/8/06, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> >> I'd quite like to see Debian package management on OpenBSD or Solaris.
> >
> > I'd like to see solaris ship with vim as part of the core os, at least
> > in addition to, if not as a replacement for, vi.  solaris vi is as
> > dumb as a united states president.
>
> vi is perfectly adequate.

However the Solaris vi has always had a few annoyances compared with
other versions, the propensity for the arrow keys to insert garbage into
your file when you are in insert mode - I realise this is probably not
really vi's fault but rather either the terminfo implementation or a
wrong TERM setting.  But it always seem strange considering Solaris and
terminfo share a parent.

/J\