[OT]: bash or any other $favourite{shell}? [was: Wish list]

danny staple danny at orionrobots.co.uk
Sat Jun 10 16:37:23 BST 2006

On 10/06/06, Luis Motta Campos <monsieur_champs at yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> Chris Benson wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 02:05:23PM +0100, Lusercop wrote:
> >
> > Does leave one rather vulnerable to damage to /lib.
> >
> > Some of my colleages have yet to learn why it's worth leaving root's
> > shell as /sbin/sh and typing exec bash whenever you log in ... I just hope
> > I'm not around when they have a learning experience.
> >

>   Please leave your irony apart and teach me one thing: what are my
> alternatives to fix a broken system with a shell linked to ncurses or
> other "vitally important and stable" library? It just happen I need to
> get my install disks again and start over, or there is any other thing I
> can do without being able to log in due to a broken default shell?

Good question,

I normally have normal users set to bash, and leave the root accout
alone, and if they are logged in as root often enough to feel they
need their "comfort tools", then the question is raised about why they
are logged in as root so often. After all, once they are logged in,
there is really nothing, nothing at all preventing them typing "exec
bash".

My gripe is the solaris defaults having csh as everyones default
shell. I can deal with sh, or bash, or ksh, but I really never liked
csh.  http://frmb.org/csh_whynot.html

Cheers
--
Danny Staple MBCS