[OT]: bash or any other $favourite{shell}? [was: Wish list]

Chris Benson chrisb at jesmond.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 11 18:37:01 BST 2006

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 05:23:27PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> Luis Motta Campos <monsieur_champs at yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> > Chris Benson wrote:
> [...]
> >> 3/ run production instances of the o/s in a zone/UML/VMWare/... that
> >> allows the global-zone/host o/s to access the childs data.
> > This is quite interesting... do you have any URLs about this?
>
> I'm not convinced you can peek inside of a Xen/UML/VMWare sandbox without
> suitable server software running inside it.

Ah, that may reduce my interest in UML before the book even arrives :-)
I was hooked by the promise of UML sharing the host's o/s image, but
that uses Copy-on-Write ... so I'm unclear whether local changes in the
child will be visible to the host.

> With linux-vserver, the sandbox's files appear in
> /var/lib/vserver/sandbox_name/ and can be easily manipulated. Solaris zones
> and FreeBSD jails are similar, I understand.

Yeah, on Sol10:
root at dooku:/var/zones # ls listserv/*
listserv/dev:
arp        dtrace     null       rdsk       syscon     ticlts     zconsole
conslog    dtremote   openprom   rmt        sysevent   ticots     zero
console    fd         poll       sad        sysmsg     ticotsord
cpu        kstat      pool       stderr     systty     tty
crypto     log        ptmx       stdin      tcp        udp
cryptoadm  logindmux  pts        stdout     tcp6       udp6
dsk        msglog     random     swap       term       urandom

listserv/root:
backup    etc       lib       opt       sbin      usr
bin       export    mnt       platform  system    var
dev       home      net       proc      tmp

Time to look at linux-vserver!

Thank you for the lead.