perl/XS/C IDEs

Matt Sergeant msergeant at messagelabs.com
Thu Jun 29 05:20:56 BST 2006

On 28-Jun-06, at 10:45 AM, Dirk Koopman wrote:

> It appears that I have started another Apple willy waving competition.
> Sadly I don't have an Apple, so I am looking for non-Apple *n[iu]x
> solutions.

OK.

> Had a look at jedit, as well as eclipse, but none of them fill me with
> huge joy. It has to be said that I am used to (which is *not* the same
> as "like") the (x)emacs keyboard interface, so I am going to struggle
> with anything that uses the M$ standard keystroke conventions.

This doesn't make any sense. You're used to, and want to keep, the
emacs keyboard UI, but want something other than emacs? Honestly
there's nothing. There really isn't. If you want something with emacs
keystrokes you're looking for emacs.

Ok so there's a few things that pretend to have emacs-like
keystrokes, but really there isn't anything with proper emacs-like
keystrokes to a decent level. Not in an IDE format anyway. So spend a
while configuring emacs to be an IDE if that's what you want. Really.

> Seems as though I am stuck with that then, sigh...

Yup, it really sucks, doesn't it. This is why people buy Macs ;-)

Matt.