[JOB] BBC Perl Developer at White City

Greg McCarroll greg at mccarroll.org.uk
Thu Jul 13 23:51:56 BST 2006

On 13 Jul 2006, at 21:13, Stefan Scheytt wrote:

> Hahaha the BBC sucks more than the vacuum of Outer Space.

why do you say this?

I've worked for the BBC twice, one of the jobs was the most exciting
Perl job
I've ever had[2] - implementing the first outside broadcasting hookup
for digital
TV (Wimbledon), the BBC were happy to use open source for all of it
(Linux,
Perl, Postgres(IIRC) and various tools) and to put their faith in me,
an unknown
quantity. Everyone I worked with on that project was impressive
professionally and
interesting personally.

I have also worked as a supplier to them for another company, again
enthusiasm,
interesting people and belief in their work - I've been on lots of
company tours
given by employee's and I'd say they were top 3 alongside Ericsson
and Foxtons,
in terms of staff enthusiasm and desire to share the things they
found cool.

Recently I've been really impressed with their web ~2.0-ish efforts,
such as the BBC
programme catalogue and also how they've been engaging the various
communities
around projects like this.

In terms of output, the 4 programmes I watch/listen to every week are
all by
the BBC[1].

I know the move from Kingswood Warren upset a lot of people, but I'm not
sure even those affected would just go for 'the BBC sucks' as a blanket
statement.

So I'd be interested in why you made your statement,

Greg.

[1] For those interested; Dr Who, Today, Newsnight  and of course
another fine
piece of journalism, Top Gear.

[2] If I can look this happy;

	http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmccarroll/49478725/

when I had to be in Wimbledon for 6am/6:30am or earlier to avoid the
huge traffic,
you know it was fun working for the BBC. The problem with this is of
course
you can't leave early at the other end of the day because the traffic
is also
bad then.