Webserver/app in a box

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Wed Jul 19 14:54:03 BST 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 02:45:27PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> I'm thinking of replacing a Windows app with a webserver+perl+HTML rig
> running locally on said Windows box, (`a la Amphetadesk, for those
> that know that RSS aggregator) and wondering if anyone's had any
> experience and what tools are out there to make this easy, both for a
> developer in terms of packaging, and deployment to the end user who
> may have no technical installation knowledge beyond clicking setup.exe
> and following a wizard's "Next" buttons.
>
> (If you feel like you're good at this, there may be some low-budget
> (one to two hundred quid) work going for a few hours effort..)
>
> TIA!

IIRC there's a nicely packaged apache+perl+... installer for win32
available, can't remember where though. I'll look for it in a bit. If
they could use that, you could use PAR to package the app and its
dependencies, then write a little script to deploy that into the right
place and dump your apache cfg in...

/joel