the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Tara Andrews chrysaphi at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 00:00:25 BST 2006

On 8/5/06, Nicholas Clark <nick at ccl4.org> wrote:
> We keep hearing that it's really hard to find decent Perl people, yet from
> the other side it seems that it's really hard to find decent Perl jobs.
> [...]

My language of choice, and the one with which I have by far the most
experience, is Perl.  But when I have job-hunted, I have almost never
looked for a "Perl job".  I look for a job that fits my general skill
set (hybrid sysadmin / programmer; my current job is basically
"release engineer and build/distribution infrastructure programmer".)
Jobs that call themselves "Perl jobs" are almost never ones that
interest me, but I have always managed to find an interesting one that
went under a different name.

Perhaps this is part of the problem?

-tara