the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Nicholas Clark nick at
Sun Aug 6 14:51:26 BST 2006

On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 09:10:11AM -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:
>   NC> On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 12:38:34PM +0100, Lusercop wrote:
>   >> On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 08:13:30AM +0100, Luis Motta Campos wrote:
>   >> >   Mr. Clark
>   >>
>   >> That'd be Dr. Clark.
>   NC> Although it's not obvious from most things I write.
>   NC> What particularly amused me though was the pimp who mailed me with a
>   NC> subject of "Dr Nicholas William Clark" but started the message with
>   NC> "Dear Mr Clark". D'oh.
> are you a real doctor or do you just play one on :)

IIRC I'm a "Doctor at philosophy" (yes, strange) but I can't remember where
I've stored my certificate, so I can't check. (The last safe place turned out
to be less than safe when someone attempted to spill tea onto it. Fortunately
she missed)

PhD in Geophysics from the University of Liverpool - "Three dimensional
structural restoration of extensional fault displacements using elastic
dislocation theory". I thought I had a postscript file of my thesis
somewhere online, but it seems no more. Maybe I should regenerate it, not
that anyone would be interested.

But I was trying to create a thread about jobs, not about me. Jobs are far
more interesting than me.

Nicholas Clark