the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Duane Griffin duaneg at dghda.com
Sun Aug 6 16:42:40 BST 2006

On 06/08/06, Nik Clayton <nik at ngo.org.uk> wrote:
[snip]
> I think a lot of this is because people have a "won't bother" attitude
> to these sorts of things, for whatever reason.  One of my other hot
> button topics is the "we own everything you do" clause in the contracts.
>   I indicated at the interview that that wasn't acceptable, and had it
> removed, so if I do it on my equipment and on my time then it's my code.
>   Do other people bother 'fighting'[2] about stuff like that?

Oh yes. I've had clauses of that sort taken out of every employment
contract I can remember signing. No-one has ever batted an eyelid, let
alone fought about it. I'm sure it is the same with the working time
directive and other things of the sort. They put the maximalist
language in because hey, why not? The majority of people don't seem to
care what they sign.

Cheers,
Duane.

--
"I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan