the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Sun Aug 6 20:17:29 BST 2006

  NC> Now it's possible that my crack ninja coding skills[1] are
  NC> responsible for this, but I doubt it somehow.

you code while smoking ninja crack? wow!

  NC> I think a lot of this is because people have a "won't bother" attitude
  NC> to these sorts of things, for whatever reason.  One of my other hot
  NC> button topics is the "we own everything you do" clause in the
  NC> contracts. I indicated at the interview that that wasn't acceptable,
  NC> and had it removed, so if I do it on my equipment and on my time then
  NC> it's my code. Do other people bother 'fighting'[2] about stuff like
  NC> that?

i also don't like those clauses and rewrite them in any contracts i
do. if i create generic changes to existing code that i bring to the
table, i still own that new code (copyright). all proprietary code i
make for their work is owned by them. i won't let any customer take over
copyright on code i can reuse in a general way.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  uri at stemsystems.com  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com