the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Peter Corlett abuse at
Mon Aug 7 16:01:27 BST 2006

On 7 Aug 2006, at 15:54, Adam Turoff wrote:
> It's *not* hard finding out if an applicant is unqualified, or a bad
> match.  It *is* hard finding the above average ones.  I don't know why
> anyone expects to find an above average hire every 2-3 candidates.

Well, in theory, every other candidate would be above average, but
the average is just so damn low that you want more than just "above

Sturgeon's Law suggests that one in ten candidates will be
worthwhile, and I'd say it would be even less since the top 10% don't
need to apply to complete strangers for jobs.