the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Mon Aug 7 16:49:19 BST 2006

Quoting Adrian Howard <adrianh at quietstars.com>:

> Anybody else old enough to remember when the same sort of thing
> happened with Pascal?

Ah yes. Pascal was the teaching language of choice on my degree[1]. In
the final year we did a course in C, but that was largely reading K&R
whilst a lecturer who also didn't know C read a couple of chapters
ahead.

Then my first real job was with a company who were rewriting their
CASE tool (who remembers CASE tools?) from Pascal to C. So it was full
of professional Pascal programmers and there were about three of us
who knew C. The project was very late (tho' at least six months of the
delay can be directly attributed to the release of Tetris!)

Dave...

[1] South Bank Poly, 1984-8

--
site: http://dave.org.uk/