the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Adrian Howard adrianh at quietstars.com
Mon Aug 7 18:39:04 BST 2006

On 7 Aug 2006, at 17:44, Paul Johnson wrote:
[snip]
> I might still rewrite it under the guise of creating a mock up for
> testing
> purposes.
[snip]

Doing that was exactly how I got started with Perl! Needed a test
server for my C e-commerce client. From a quick browse through the
pink camel it looked quicker to do in perl4 than in C.

Four years later (complete with the "this is a short term hack"
comment that was kept for sentimental reasons) it was processing
everybody's orders :-)

It got re-written in C++ eventually because (guess what) nobody on
the team at that point knew perl well.

The more things change...

Cheers,

Adrian