the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Aug 7 21:36:09 BST 2006

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 03:08:58PM -0500, Zach Vonler wrote:
[...]
> I add an additional wrinkle, which is that I usually comment the method
> with something like "Determine the intersection of two sets" and declare
> the method as "public List intersection(List a, List b)". It's interesting
> to see which people take the comment and name as gospel, and which ones
> approach them suspiciously.

As far as I can remember of set theory, it *does* determine the intersection
of two sets, assuming you were daft enough to use an ordered datastructure
that allows duplicate values as a representation of a set in the first
place.

It'd be kind of nice if Perl had sets as a basic datatype, but I guess we've
already run out of punctuation and have to make do with hashes.