The Newly Inaugurated London.pm "Most In Need of Positivity" Award

Tom Hukins tom at eborcom.com
Tue Aug 8 22:56:28 BST 2006

I was going to reply to the jobs thread about happily living outside
London and disliking the commute too much to do it, whilst gaining
from the cheaper cost of living outside the M25.

But I didn't get round to it and the thread dragged on.

It takes an impressive job to lure a Londoner to LA.  From talking to
others at my local Perl Mongers group, MiltonKeynes.pm, commuting once
a week doesn't seem a problem, but we're quite happy where we are and
don't want to work in London every day.

I've talked to a few people who commute occasionally but mostly work
from home.  From what I've heard, it works well.  But, mostly,
employers like their staff to work on-site.

That's where the discord begins.  Employers offer jobs in one place;
employees live elsewhere.

But occasionally dream jobs appear:

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 10:23:21PM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:
> It appears that some people think it's a disco, not an office where
> complex thought is required.

I have lovely, polite colleagues who don't interrupt me when I'm deep
in thought.  Even if I've got my headphones on and somehow drift into
choreographing whatever music I was listening to.  Instead of writing
code.

My dancing sucks:  I'm still at the Matt's Script Archive Stage of
doing mildly interesting things badly.  But I'd love to get paid to
dance while pretending to devlop software.  I reckon my dancing would
improve lots.  So can Peter, Uri, or anyone else, find me a job doing
that?

Thanks,
Tom