Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboards Rock/Suck (the "no good Perl jobs"/"ergo keyboards" myth)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Aug 9 12:59:15 BST 2006

On 9 Aug 2006, at 12:45, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 10:33:10AM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:
[...]
>> You mean the way the UK keymap is the same as the US one, but they
>> swapped £ and # so you have to use alt-3 a lot when writing code?
> That's the one.  And the utter refusal to swap @ and ".

Don't forget putting | and ~ and the like all in the wrong place.

>> I went googling for a keymap editor within about two hours of opening
>> my PowerBook for the first time. Ukelele (sic) seems to do the job.
> Ta, I'll have a peek.

Or just use the keymap I've done already that should match the
keycaps on a PC USB keyboard you plug in (and put the keys where my
fingers expect them on a PowerBook):

abuse.mooli.org.uk/British_PC.keylayout.zip

It's slightly broken, as you'll discover when you install it, but
it's a 90% solution and that's good enough to save my sanity.