The limits of VCS (the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth)

Tielman de Villiers tvilliers at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 14:39:26 BST 2006

On 07/08/06, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:
> Dominic Mitchell wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 03:49:12PM +0100, Adrian Howard wrote:
> >> <rant class="tangent">
> >>
> >> The number of fresh graduates that have never used a revision control
> >> system in their life shocks me. Ditto for the number of places I've
> >> contracted for that are still at the cp -R stage...
> >>
> >> </rant>
> >
> > The trouble is that it's not /just/ the graduates.  I view lack of VCS
> > as bordering on the negligent, yet some people have never even heard of
> > one, let alone used it.  That's just *so* scary.
>
> I've given up being scared of it. I just tell clients they *will* have a
> source repository and if they aren't sure how to set one up we'll gladly do so
> for them as the first line item of the contract.

How about using "cp" for release management? So you use a VCS for
development, but when deploying the code to a staging/production
environment, you tar it up, copy it over and and untar in the
deployment directory.

Good, bad or scary?  (Presuming a trusted and private network, so
security is not the issue here.)

--tielman