The limits of VCS (the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth)

Peter Corlett abuse at
Wed Aug 9 15:29:07 BST 2006

On 9 Aug 2006, at 14:39, Tielman de Villiers wrote:
> How about using "cp" for release management? So you use a VCS for
> development, but when deploying the code to a staging/production
> environment, you tar it up, copy it over and and untar in the
> deployment directory.
> Good, bad or scary?  (Presuming a trusted and private network, so
> security is not the issue here.)

It's arguably better to build a package for whatever your operating
system uses so it can be easily installed, and more importantly,
removed, upgraded and/or downgraded.

Building a .deb is typically a Makefile target in my case.