the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Jonathan Peterson JPeterson at bmjgroup.com
Thu Aug 10 11:09:33 BST 2006

> Some agencies also work with organisations on an exclusive basis for
> the first N weeks of a vacancy. They offer a steep discount to the
> company if they use them first.

Steep discount? You'll be lucky. Usually, if you give them limited
exclusivity they make vague noises about giving you priority over other
clients or something. Agencies are fiendishly expensive (20-35% of annual
salary), but in the last year and a bit, I've had little luck advertising.
I'd say at the moment good people generally a quite hard to find (we're a
Java shop).