The Newly Inaugurated London.pm "Most In Need of Positivity" Award

IvorW combobulus at xemaps.com
Fri Aug 11 09:30:49 BST 2006

I wonder about public facing jobs, such as retail. I am choosy about where I shop, regarding background "music". The worst culprits seem to be bars, record shops and clothes shops. Record shops at least have the excuse of vending their produce, but it isn't particularly appealing. Maybe I'm showing my age :-?

This thread has made me consider that perhaps, some shops have mindless background music, not for the benefit of the staff, but for the benefit of management (in the comfort of their quiet offices, or more likely off site). After the smoking bans are all in place, will our compensation culture lead to employees suing for deafness or psychological stress, I wonder?