Music To Code To (was "Most In Need of Positivity" Award)

Paul Mison paulm at husk.org
Mon Aug 14 23:22:15 BST 2006

On 11/08/2006 at 19:53 +0100, Andy Wardley wrote:
>Jonathan Stowe wrote:
>>  So continuous Motorhead and Ramones isn't considered good?

>I've just set up mt-daapd(.org) to run an "iTunes Server" off my
>Linux box. It's working fine, very fine in fact.  Except that you
>can't party shuffle or create playlists with songs from a remote
>server (unless I've missed a trick).

You can't party shuffle or create playlists with songs from a remote
server. You also can't get artwork from remote tracks, or copy tracks
from a DAAP server to a client. Remember: don't steal music.

>Anyone got any clues as to how to feed iTunes a dynamically
>generated playlist?

mt-daapd lets you create smart playlists by feeding it SQL but it's
not exactly well documented (or at least, it wasn't when I looked).
The web interface might have got more usable since then though; it
was the subject of heavy hacking. It's even had a name change and
grown a reasonably attractive web site.

http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/

Anyway, this is probably all moot; SlimServer probably fitted your
needs better then an iTunes share anyway. These days I think I'd
reccommend a Squeezebox over an AirPort Express too, and I'm about as
Apple as they come.

--
:: paul
:: blue coconut slush