Bug in URI ?!

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Wed Aug 16 14:21:45 BST 2006

On 16 Aug 2006, at 14:06, Peter Corlett wrote:
> I can't believe there is anything important that still uses plain CGI.

You'd be surprised / horrified :)

> Please, don't tell me people write their own arg-splitting code for
> mod_perl or FastCGI programs. Please?

I guess not in general. Some of the questions people ask on the
mod_perl mailing list hint at fairly alarming misconceptions about
how it all works while simultaneously suggesting that they're working
on fairly important systems.

The problem with switching to ';' as URI arg punctation (and a whole
category of similar migrations to things that 'should just work' -
like using email addresses with unusual but legal syntax) is that you
suddenly raise the spectre of a whole slew of possibly quite subtle
bugs showing up in code outside your control that hasn't been
properly tested for the cases you're hitting it with.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net