Simultaneous multiple module versions

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed Aug 16 18:46:24 BST 2006

Toby Corkindale wrote:
> So, we're trying to port this ancient app to run on the same servers as some
> modern apps.. The ancient app uses some ancient versions of modules, which have
> since been changed in non-backwards-compatible ways.
>
> I'd like to have multiple versions of the same modules installed, and used
> selectively by different mod_perl apps on the same apache daemon... Horrible,
> no?
>
> Now, only.pm would let me select which version of a module to load, but I have
> several apps loaded by mod_perl, and I *don't* want the others to be getting
> this ancient version.. argh..

Safe::World, if you can get it to work. I found it a bit crashy under
mod_perl, but I have a feeling that may have been the mod_perl compile on my
dev box at the time being a bit crashy in its own right.

There's a half-assed-attempt-at-a-module for this called Apache::Worlds lying
around somewhere in http://dev.catalystframework.org/repos/bast that I wrote
to play with the idea from which ideas might be salvageable even if code isn't.