Simultaneous multiple module versions

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Thu Aug 17 12:43:14 BST 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 11:23:30PM +0100, Steve Mynott wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 06:10:37PM +0100, Toby Corkindale typed:
>
> > Any thoughts or options I've missed?
>
> Well the cleanest solution is to port the app to use the current CPAN versions
> of the modules, starting by writing a test suite which works with the original
> modules.  Fiddly and boring I know but probably correct and you will thank
> yourself in the long run and be able to sleep at night.  You will also
> certainly correct a pile of longstanding bugs as a side effect.

Looks like that is the way to go..
Alas, porting the app to work on modern versions is only meant to be a
temporary measure until the entire thing is re-written. Thus, spending time
re-writing parts of the old version eats into the available time.

I'm currently working on a convertor for one part now..

> Or a lazy solution would be to bundle the original modules up using "par".
>
> http://par.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
>
> and maybe Apache::PAR would work.

I had a chat at the emergency social about using PAR for this; I'm going to
look into it further and see if it'll be the quick-fix I was looking for.

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world