Way off topic: DVD drives

Dave Hodgkinson davehodg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 17:26:24 BST 2006

On 10 Sep 2006, at 17:02, Andy Armstrong wrote:

> On 10 Sep 2006, at 16:52, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:
>> I've certainly been able to take a backup of a Japanese NTSC disc
>> with Handbrake.
>
> I've just tried Handbrake on a R1 disk - no luck. It scans the disk
> and then says "No valid titles found"
>
>> The trick is to turn off any auto-open activity when you put the
>> disk in.
>
> I set "When you insert a video DVD" to "Ignore" - is there anything
> else you need to do?

Nope, that's what worked for me. And it definitely objected when I
tried it in the usual DVD player s/w.

Here's a thought: if region encoding is intended to protect the
staggered
release of movies, why doesn't it have a time expiry? (OK, so to be
really
sure, it'd need to send a payload-free query to a trusted NTP server,
but
hey...)

--
Dave Hodgkinson - Music photography