John Costello cos at
Mon Sep 11 23:50:18 BST 2006

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Peter Corlett wrote:
> Butter cut with olive oil. The butter's there for flavour and the
> olive oil is there to raise the cooking temperature. If you make it a
> bacon, egg and mushroom butty, you can skip the olive oil because
> you'll get the lard that's come out of the bacon.

I recall that butter has a higher smoke point than olive oil.  Wikipedia
agrees, for what that is worth.

Ah, no, that's wrong.  Low acidity olive oil does have a higher smoke
point than butter, as does "extra light" (*spit*).
> I don't really see the point in sunflower oil - all the calories of
> butter but fuck all taste.

You may as well use walnut or sesame oil and get some flavor, or just use
olive oil.