Non Sucking YAML parser

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Sep 13 17:26:41 BST 2006

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 01:49:46PM +0200, Robin Berjon wrote:
> On Sep 13, 2006, at 12:28, Dirk Koopman wrote:
> >I suspect he has the same problems with xml as many of us:
> >* the signal to noise ratio of xml is way too low.
> If that's a problem for you, you're better off shipping C structs
> around than even using YAML or JSON.

I presume the OP was looking for something portable.  Using C structs
isn't at all portable.  Different compilers on the same machine might
pack the same struct differently.  And don't even think about trying to
get data from one machine to another with different word lengths and
endianness.

One of my own projects has been stalled for about a year because of
frustration that I need to feed a struct to a socket and read a struct
back.  And that's just with one machine and one compiler.  I *really*
don't want to hard-code whatever rules gcc uses for building x86 structs
into my module, because someone else might use Sun's compiler on Sparc,
or gcc on MIPS.

Thou shalt abjure etc the vile heresy that all the world's a VAX^W
C program.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

          All praise the Sun God
          For He is a Fun God
          Ra Ra Ra!