Non Sucking YAML parser

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Thu Sep 14 19:28:23 BST 2006

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 05:35:46AM -0400, Matt Sergeant said:
> Simon Wistow wrote:
> >Should I just give up and switch to XML now?
>
> If that's not clear, we probably can't help you.

I ended up switching to XML and never looked back.

The original reason for trying to use either YAML or JSON where that I
thought they might be more lightweight for just transporting a hash
across the wire, because they're easier (for me at least) to debug by
Mark 1.0 eyeball and because the interfaces on both sides of the
language divide seemed to be easier to deal with.

In the end they all sucked. All of them. It was ... disapointing.

I ended up using XmlStreamWriter and Reader under Java and XML::LibXML
under Perl (XML::Simple got confused by html in CDATA and XML::Parser
seemed overcomplicated for what I wanted to do)

I should probably have looked at XML::Dumper but I only remembered it
this morning.