Off Topic : internet connection, ISP

Jonathan Stowe jns at gellyfish.com
Fri Sep 15 12:33:08 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 11:55 +0100, Roger Burton West wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 11:47:48AM +0100, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
>
> >Totally unique.  But somebody did add a Demon specific option to fetchmail as I
> >recall...
>
> Not totally - Dircon had an option to kick off SMTP delivery, I think
> after some sort of authentication rather than Demon's "wait for 30
> seconds after login and hope the IP stack is up by then" approach.

IIRC there were two possible mechanisms - an SMTP ETRN or some variation
of "finger <login>@smtphost.dircon.co.uk", but I think there are people
on the list who may remember better.

And then of course you could always have your mail delivered by UUCP -
the new owners may have killed this off but it was still going, being
billed for and able to be provisioned when I departed.

/J\