Printing to multiple files ... without changing my code.

McGlinchy, Alistair Alistair.McGlinchy at
Fri Sep 15 16:20:37 BST 2006

Joel Bernstein wrote:
> I'd say the best way is to tie
> STDOUT, which I've just hacked up a demo of:

I didn't know you tie a file handle. Very cool!

There's a wee bit of a performance hit using this method but well worth
the effort.

Benchmark: timing 10 iterations of normal, tied...
    normal:  9 wallclock secs ( 7.55 usr +  0.20 sys =  7.75 CPU) @
1.29/s (n=10)
      tied: 19 wallclock secs (17.41 usr +  0.16 sys = 17.56 CPU) @
0.57/s (n=10)

... Ooh and I can do this with any file handle. This opens up several
possibilities. My log files will never know what's hit them. Buahahahar!

Thanks for the great example.

Registered Office:
Marks and Spencer plc
Waterside House
35 North Wharf Road
W2 1NW

Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670