Off Topic : internet connection, ISP

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Mon Sep 18 08:56:19 BST 2006

Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2006-09-15 at 11:47 +0100, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
>> Totally unique.  But somebody did add a Demon specific option to
>> fetchmail as I recall...
>
> --enable-sdps to turn on using *ENV for getting envelope information.
>
> Which is accompanied by a patronising bit of the docs about how Demon
> obviously didn't know that Fetchmail could parse Received: headers when
> they added this *ENV feature.
>
> What's really sick is that it searches for the case-sensitive string
> "demon" in the POP3 connection banner to turn this on.  But the POP3
> RFCs don't allow for local extensions in CAPA; Demon NL ignore this
> and advertise it anyway.

But then again, it's fairly typical of Demon to write their own custom
extensions to a protocol in order to support something.  "Reinventing
wheels" was a common occurrence whilst I was there.  Although
admittedly, it was sometimes for good reasons.

> -Phil, Demon _NL_ postmaster until tomorrow, last working day.

Escape!  Congratulations!  I remember visiting demon.nl when it was
first being set up.  Seemed like a nice place back then...

-Dom