Off Topic : internet connection, ISP

Matt Clark matt at mattclark.net
Mon Sep 18 11:23:55 BST 2006

David Cantrell wrote:
>>     http://www.samknows.com/broadband/
>> which will let you know what LLU providers are on your exchange.
>>

> Great site.  Pity they don't answer their email.

Also a pity that it's getting pretty inaccurate about LLU these days, to
the extent that I sometimes wonder if someone isn't feeding them
deliberately bad info.  Just because Sky _say_ they've LLU-enabled an
exchange, it doesn't mean they can actualy provide service there.
Similarly, just because AOL doesn't say anything at all, doesn't meant
they haven't already shifted a whole exchange to LLU.

Not that it matters too much.  These days your choices are really:
* Zen for superb reliability & service, for which they charge a fair
price.  Nildram too, but anecdotally they are not so good as they were.
* Be for ultimate speed with no silly policies for very little money
(and their service & support is passable, with decent enough
reliability, if nothing to write home about)
* A.N.Other IPStream reseller for when you can't afford Zen and/or are
out of Be's catchment areas.

ISTM that the FAQ entry could do with an update since an awful lot has
changed in the last 12-18 months, and I'd be happy to contribute some words.