6502 versus Z80

Steve Mynott steve at tightrope.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 19 22:53:58 BST 2006

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 08:01:43PM +0100, Andy Armstrong typed:

> On 19 Sep 2006, at 19:52, Jonathan Stowe wrote:
> >The Dragon 32 was a spiffy computer - especially if you have the disk
> >drive thingy, I wrote a small file manager thing for it but I doubt I
> >still have the code.
>
> I wish I still had the source for my macro cross assembler thing for
> the Beeb. I'm sure it would seem pretty naive now - but I'd still be
> interested to see /just/ how bad it is :)

Anyone crazy enough to still be interested in programming on 6502 type
systems should check out:

http://www.cc65.org/

Its no gcc but much 1980s DOS-type C code ports easily to 6502 systems
(although you have very little memory unless you can bank switch RAM).  For
example, I ported the FreeDOS edlin clone to the Atari 800XL.  But I've
chucked the old hardware and just use emulation and cross compiling which is
probably cheating...

--
Steve Mynott <steve at tightrope.demon.co.uk>