[OT] Best Flash/QT streaming provider

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Wed Sep 27 19:11:05 BST 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 05:01:59PM +0100, Denny wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 16:40 +0100, Paul Orrock wrote:
> > Monday9am use flash for several reasons, one of which is that it's
> > harder to copy a flash embedded movie that it is to right-click -> save
> > as a wmv or mpg movie. Flash also plays while downloading the rest of
> > the video.
>
> Note that this means the (admittedly very small) market section of
> people who don't have Flash then have no way to view your file unless
> you also offer it as a download - which is why I prefer google video to
> youtube.  Linux on AMD64 has no Flash, unless you want to install a
> 32-bit version of various libs and browsers.

Also, Linux on PPC. *grumble*

> At least YouTube and Google Video both seem to work okay in the older
> versions of Flash that are available to Linux (7) and Mac (8, I think)
> rather than requiring the Windows version (9) like some websites do.

Also, check out the mplayer mozilla plugin - I think it was at least partly
sponsered by Google, with the intention it played Google Video - but it also
seems to handle other things quite well too. (It's definately better than
Totem's mozilla plugin)

tjc
PS. A flash-advocate friend of mine claims that Flash 9 will be released
"soon", simultaneously for Linux and Windows and OSX. Whether this remains
true, we shall see..

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world