What a shame...

John Costello cos at indeterminate.net
Thu Sep 28 17:54:01 BST 2006

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 02:30:35PM +0100, Kaoru wrote:
> > So the BBC get to use Soapbox [0] videos on their website and in
> > return say nice things about MS/MSN/Windows Media Player? I wonder if
> > bbc.co.uk will start using IIS/Windows instead of Apache/unix.
>
> Mmm, *that* would make them a very juicy target for the world's script
> kiddies.
>
> I wonder how well the BBC's massive investment in Perl based infrastructure
> ports to mod_perl on Win32...

I don't know anything about the BBC's Perl infrastructure, but I've had
reasonable success developing Perl on Unix and Linux and then running the
scripts on Win32, using ActivePerl.  There were glitches along the way,
and I uncovered a bug in DBI, but the process wasn't horrible.  Magnified
to the size of Auntie, it probably will be horrible.

Perhaps they'll install cygwin on all of the Windows servers....