Daily rate or fixed price for a job ?

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 19:44:36 BST 2006

On 06/10/06, Andy Wardley <abw at wardley.org> wrote:
> Nik Clayton wrote:
> > http://www.contractoruk.com/market_stats/index.html might help.
>
> They list £442 as the average daily rate for a Perl programmer, but an
> average hourly rate of £30.
>
> That's a 14.7 hour day!

That'll be php cowboys who know a bit of perl cgi charging 15/hour
while professionals charge up to 500/day, and all those banking
contracts skewing the stats a bit.

I'm happy to say that my rates are 200 to 350 a day depending on
location, length of contract and how much I want to do it, so working
from home on an interesting project with people I like for 12 months
is closer to 200, while working with jumped up barrow boys in the city
on a short term contract would obviously be at the top end and
anything else comes inbetween.

Cheers,

A.

--