Gentlemen, a call to arms!

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Thu Oct 12 12:18:17 BST 2006

On 10/12/06, Dave Hodgkinson <davehodg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 Oct 2006, at 11:41, Paul Makepeace wrote:
>

> > If production freezing is so important to Catalyst why is the project
> > not specifying the particular versions of ALL its modules, internal &
> > external, at release time? build_requires => { 'Test::MockObject' =>
> > '=1.23' } or whatever the format is. That way you insulate yourselves
> > from regressions because you're bolting your installation down on
> > every external dependency.
>
> I'd go the other way: why wasn't Catalyst tested on the latest/greatest
> versions of everything before it was shipped?

It probably was but then some external dependency revved, got picked
up by default in users' subsequent install iteration, and turns out to
break the Catalyst test suite.

I wonder if there's some scope for a module author to have other
highly dependent modules/applications register themselves as
interested parties who/that would appreciate builds of their
modules/applications to be tested before said module is released. You
could even do this automatically by keeping stats on CPAN downloads
and looking at the dependency graph. "Ah, there's this enormous app
that requires my module, perhaps I should try building $enormous_app
before I ship my latest & greatest."