Syntax highlighting in Perl

Nik Clayton nik at
Sun Oct 15 10:29:47 BST 2006

Jody Belka wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 05:27:53PM -0600, Randy J. Ray wrote:
>> Though it isn't a Perl module, I use highlight:
>> It does a *lot* of languages, and handles several output formats. It also acts
>> like a proper *NIX citizen, working as a filter when no explicit input or
>> output arguments are given. You could easily use this within the context of
>> Open2 or Open3.
> It also comes with a makefile rule to generate a perl module using SWIG. See

That looks very interesting, thanks to you both.

One question -- when it does the swig build, the makefile that ships with it
has this definition:

That's not going to work on my FreeBSD box.  The equivalent path is:

poking around (and I don't see a variable that
corresponds to that.  The closest I get is doing something like this:

     perl -MConfig -e 'print $Config{archlib}, "/CORE\n"'

Is that (archlib) the right variable to use?  Can I always append "/CORE"
and be guaranteed of getting the right directory?