Syntax highlighting in Perl

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Oct 16 10:34:10 BST 2006

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 09:30:01AM +0100, Andy Wardley wrote:
[...]
> There's still a few niggling things that it doesn't do as well as Emacs:
> no async shell commands, sub-optimal reformatting/flowing and a reliance
> on the mouse for certain operations, to name a few off the top of my head.
> But it's being actively developed and is improving all the time. Its
> author, Allan Odgaard, is clearly one smart cookie.

Relying on the mouse is a bit of a show-stopper, as is its non-existence on
anything other than OSX. If I've got to know Emacs or vi *anyway* when I'm
poking around Unix systems, why bother confusing things with yet another
editor with more keybindings to get confused with?

Anybody who's wondered why they got a debugger in Emacs when they tried to
save a file, and then realised they typed :wq, or have had their terminal
lock up in vi because they did ^X^S will know what I mean.