tum ti tum

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Wed Oct 18 10:52:29 BST 2006

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 07:15:29PM +0100, Dirk Koopman wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 18:54 +0100, Jonathan Stowe wrote:
> > >
> > > As have people raving about valves in amplifiers...
> > >

> > I don't think valves in guitar amplifiers ever went away, but yeah the
> > audionutjobs have been banging on about using valves in HiFi amplifiers
> > for years and I don't think I've seen one in a shop since they died out
> > in the sixties (and I used to have a valve dansette when I was a
> > kid ...)
> >

> Speaking of audionutjobs, I was reading some magazine written for such
> people where they were comparing mains leads. Apparently a 3m orange
> mains lead (don't ask about make/manufacturer, can't be bothered to
> remember), price £27 was nearly as good as the market leader at £79.
> These p*ssed all over the competition priced variously between
> £15->150.
>
> You could really tell the difference on their stupidly priced (valve)
> Quad amplifiers (complete with good, old fashioned, transformer based HT
> supply) - they said.

And don't forget such things as the Audiophile Bricks:
eg. http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/vibra_iso_pt5_e.html

I can understand that preventing a turntable from wobbling would help.. but
apparently it improves digital items like CD players, and solid-state items
like amplifiers too! Well, according to them.. eg:

    Placing the small Little Rock 5 on top of the Accuphase produces a
    surprisingly large improvement. [...]
    A very complicated and densely orchestrated Prokofiev score is being
    broadcast as the LR5 is lowered into place, one written for Diaghile's
    Ballets Russes, Scythian Suite: Ala and Lolli, actually rejected by
    Diaghilev as not far out enough to challenge Rite of Spring. As soon as the
    LR5 sits on the Accuphase the soundstage opens up, the individual parts
    become easier to follow, and the dense orchestrations less impenetrable.
    Surprised? I did not expect this much difference on a purely electronic
    component with a massive chassis.

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world