Databasen - Revisited

Matt Sergeant msergeant at messagelabs.com
Wed Oct 18 17:16:00 BST 2006

On 18-Oct-06, at 11:08 AM, Nigel Rantor wrote:

> So, due to the excellent response to the first post regarding
> interviewing DB candidates and some of the weird and wonderful
> ideas they have I present my second, very open, question...
>
> What is your favourite question to guage someone's level of
> expertise in the database field generally, without reference to any
> specific DB.
>
> Have at it mongers...

Q: What is wrong with the following setup:

CREATE TABLE Month (
   id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
   name VARCHAR(16),
   shortname VARCHAR(3)
);

INSERT INTO Month VALUES (1, "January", "Jan");

There are lots of fairly obvious right answers (localisation would be
one obvious one), but most people won't get the fact that the primary
key index is a bad thing, because the entire table fits into a single
page of pretty much every DB I know, so index access is actually
slower than a full table scan.

If they answer with that, it's an instant hire (though I've never
given this question to anyone. 9 out of 10 DBAs wouldn't even get it,
sadly).

Matt.