Databasen - Revisited

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Wed Oct 18 22:28:40 BST 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 03:39:18PM -0500, Jonathan Rockway wrote:

> new server, you can get one for $800 (or less these days).  If you need
> another programmer to maintain your overly-optimized spaghetti, that's
> going to cost you tens of thousands of dollars* a year!  That's a lot of
> servers you could buy instead.
>
> (* Should that be "pounds" instead?  I apologize for being an ignorant
> American :/)

I don't think it matters, but given that exchange rates are not 1:1, if
the numeric values are fixed, I prefer pounds ahead of euros ahead of
US dollars. Which currencies more expensive than 1:1 against sterling?

In more practical terms, employing programmers to maintain spaghetti is not
a good idea as it tends to rot their brains, kill their morale and increase
your churn, which costs much more than the numeric values of salary.
Much better to eliminate spaghetti.

Jihad against pasta!

Nicholas Clark