Databasen - Revisited

Matt Sergeant msergeant at
Fri Oct 20 04:35:16 BST 2006

On 19-Oct-06, at 2:31 PM, Paul Makepeace wrote:

>>  Even in a replicated setup, databases don't scale
>> brilliantly across servers (too much replication overhead,
>> application becomes too complex etc).
> Depends...

Bigtable is NOT any form of RDBMS. It's a highly optimised domain
specific storage implementation designed specifically for scalability
and redundancy. I suspect the people who wrote it are probably very
careful about optimising every bit of their code too. Or perhaps they
should just trust their optimiser. :-)

For more information please visit