Databasen - Revisited

Steve Mynott steve at tightrope.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 22 12:06:24 BST 2006

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 09:12:35AM +0200, Michel Rodriguez typed:

> Dave Hodgkinson wrote:
>
> >Sybase is still the database for Real Men(tm) though.
>
> Sorry for asking a serious question here: it looks like Sybase is widely
> popular in the banking and financial industries. Is there any specific
> technical reason, or is it just "historical reasons".

Cost?

A claim I once heard was that banks bought Sybase because the DBAs were
cheaper than Oracle ones because Sybase was easier to admin.

I've no idea what the figures are now but its probably still cheaper to
buy Sybase as well.

Banks also like RAD tools since time is money and Sybase's Powerbuilder
used to be widely used.

--
Steve Mynott <steve at tightrope.demon.co.uk>