What shame? [Was: What a shame...]

Paul Johnson paul at pjcj.net
Tue Oct 24 09:35:15 BST 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 08:44:54AM +0100, Luis Motta Campos wrote:
> john_oshea at wordbank.com wrote:
> > Andy Armstrong wrote:
> >> The BBC is is (in general) an example of a respected government granted
> >> monopoly. Unfortunately that means that if you're sufficiently choosy
> >> some of their output is indispensable and unique - there isn't - as far
> >> as I'm aware - a sensible non-BBC alternative to Radio 4 for example.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately the BBC's monopoly status means that market forces can't
> >> just slug this one out as you describe.
> >
> > Playing devil's advocate: surely there are as many vociferous
> > *licence-paying* non-Windows users as there are, say, Welsh speakers?  ;-)
>
>   I personally never pay licenses for software: if its not free, I just
> drop it and try to find something with a free license to replace it.

I think the licences in question here are not software licences, but the
BBC licence fee which currently stands at £131.50 per year -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/licencefee/

Personally, I think the licence fee is far too low and I would willingly
sell my house and all of it's contents to help the BBC.

In fact, I would be quite happy to pay the licence fee if I could
receive all* the BBC content abroad.

* Or at least all that I wanted to.

Paul Johnson - paul at pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net